Monday, October 4, 2010

An apple a day or 48 pounds a day?


While at the apple orchard last week, we brought home a bushel of apples ( about 48 pounds). Since the recipe we were planning to use for the apple butter said we could use "seconds" (as in not top quality) we were able to get our bushel for $12 while the best quality would have been $28. Peeling, coring, and slicing; so easy a two year old can do it; seriously.


It actually was very easy but very time consuming. If you venture to try it I do suggest enlisting help if you are a mother of several small children who will need "things" during the process. We needed 9 quarts of homemade applesauce for the apple butter. So after deducting the 9 quarts we were left with 5 quarts of applesauce to can and a gallon of fresh apple juice to drink, all unsweetened and delicious!


The apple sauce for the butter was added to the crock pots with sugar and spices to cook and thicken overnight. We all made ourselves sick licking our fingers and empty bowls. I have never even had apple butter and have never liked store bought applesauce.


The following morning, this morning, we set to canning the apple butter for the winter and for gifts. Everyone did their share and like always, my sweet father was there to actually can the food for us. : ) He's such a dear.


So 48 pounds of fresh apples made us a gallon of apple juice, 17 jelly jars of apple butter, 3 pints of apple butter, 5 pints of applesauce, and several bowlfuls left for fresh eating, to mention all we ate while making it.

12 comments:

joyfilled said...

Ah, your kitchen looks like mine!! I've been canning for 4 days straight...just finished off a bushel of tomatoes, still have one of apples to do since my peeler/slicer/core thing BROKE when I went to hook it on the table this morning (already did 1/2 a bushel of applesauce), and did one of peaches. I'm soooooo tired of seeing my kitchen right now. LOL

Emily said...

Oh no I am so sorry your peeler,slicer,corer broke! Ahhhh. I must admit I'd be heading to the store. : ) Did you have help or was it you alone with the kiddos??? We did tomatoes but we didn't do mass peaches. I did can peach pie filling but only 6 pints. : ) I think were gonna get more apples for apple pie filling and more applesauce. Do you sub apple sauce for oil in any of your baking?

Nabila Grace said...

Sounds and I bet smelled wonderful! :o)

Jenna said...

Mmmm...Sounds wonderful! I love apple butter. Enjoy all the yummy rewards from your hard work!

The Munck Family said...

YUM....that was a job. but looked fun, I too bet it smelled great! It was great to see you Saturday!

Hugs,
Laura

Emily said...

It did smell super yummy!

Laura,
It WAS great to see you and talk your ear off again. : ) I can't wait until next time!

Christine said...

Wow! Enjoy the sweet reward of all of your efforts. I cannot wait to start canning! I guess it will have to wait until next year's bounty! Blessings!

Emily said...

Christine,

You can always "play" with canning during the winter months when you are stuck inside. You can make strawberry jam from (store bought) frozen strawberries and you can make apple butter from store bought applesauce. It would be worth it to give it a trial run so when the bounty comes in you are familiar with what you are doing but you can fill those long winter days! We froze some fruit from the summer to can during the winter. : )

joyfilled said...

Emily,

I headed across the road to MIL's to get hers, and it was put together wrong (or maybe not...maybe she was using it on something weird LOL) so yeah...I should have just headed to the store!!

It's just been me and the girls doing it all (well, just me...they lose interest quickly!) so that's why it's taken forever. I can totally see it being more fun with other people!!

I actually haven't ever done the applesauce for baking! I use coconut oil most of the time but will definitely try applesauce since the coconut flavor is starting to get overwhelming after all these years! LOL

Emily said...

Brynna,
I got to hand it to you. I don't think I would have the endurance to can and take care of all 3 of the children. Mine are probably too "needy". We usually do it at my mom's while my dad is there. He usually "runs" the canner since we use there open flame cooker to do it.

I haven't tried the applesauce substitute yet but it's way cheaper than CO and less of a taste so I'm gonna give it a try. Mom said she used to do it all the time in muffins. I read and it says to use it when subbing oil in baked goods such as cakes, muffins, and breads since it makes it more moist and slightly sweeter. : ) Let me know if you try it.

Bria said...

The smell of apples brings back so many memories. What a great mother/daughter/grandmother project!

It is always so wonderful to have someone teach you these things. You and your mother hold a dear place in my heart.

Laura said...

It all looks so yummy, Emily! I've never made apple butter. Or applesauce, for that matter. :) I don't have a clue how to can. Maybe one day you could teach me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails