Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Theft at it's "Best"

Well if tornadoes, death, and destruction aren't enough we had someone "break" (I didn't usually lock the door when I left for short periods of time) into our house yesterday morning. We were out running errands when I got a call from my bank fraud department asking if I had spent $504 and attempted another $590 purchase at a local drugstore. Of course the answer was no. I knew I had my credit card on me so the only other way the card could have been swiped was if someone had gone into our house and taken it from my desk.

I called Jeremy and he met me at the house, not knowing what to expect. My biggest fear was that the house was ransacked and that the laptops holding our pictures and my engagement ring were gone. But when we got home we would have never known anyone was here except for the laptop on my desk was closed instead of open like I left it. If it weren't for the bank calling we would not have known until the charges showed up. The only thing they took was our credit card, 2 debit cards (one for HSA and one for an old Christmas account) and 2 different check books. We were able to get everything cancelled and thankfully the next transaction for $105 at Wal-mart was declined since the card was cancelled.

The police came and filled out a report and went off to the drugstore for the video records since we knew the exact time they ran the card. We got a call later that afternoon to say that they had made an arrest. We know no other details. This is about the 5th time we have been victims of theft, most in different locations. It's such a nasty feeling, wondering if someone was watching, or just a random thing. There are so many 'what ifs' that go through your mind. But I do praise the Lord that he/she was caught. I am not sure if we will have to go to court for the hearing. I imagine probably so. As far as theft goes, I guess this is as good as it gets since they didn't mess up anything, nor did they take anything irreplaceable, nor are we responsible for the charges. So it's the best of the bad. : )

5 comments:

Serena said...

Oh, dear, Emily, that is icky. I'm sorry that happened, but I'm glad that you all were protected and that everything worked out the best that it could.

Quinn said...

How scary that someone was in your house with you unawares!! Praise God it was figured out quickly and they were caught. I wonder that anyone tries these things these days when there is a camera on every corner. I suppose this is one of those times when the gross violation of our privacy pays off.

I saw KimC from LIfe in a Shoe say earlier this year that she doesn't lock her doors either. She said she figures if the criminal really wants in, they will one way or another and she want to deal with the least amount of damage to the house. It's a good point I think :)

Emily, wife of Jeremy said...

Quinn,
That makes me feel better that Kim says that. We always thought that as well. Locks just keep honest people out. : ) But I will lock my doors from now even when we are home (atleast until the fear wears off). You just feel so violated!

joyfilled said...

Oh how scary!!! So glad you guys got things worked out. I always always lock our doors, but my IL's across the road never do. However most robberies out here in the boonies are vehicles. I used to always lock my car at nights too but I stopped doing that, for the same reason- I figure if that's what they want, they can take it with ease instead of choosing to come into my house because they are locked out of the car.

Christine said...

Praying for you, Emily! You have been through so much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails