Thursday, June 23, 2011

Finding Our Way in Homeschool



So we've been homeschooling consistently (a huge downfall of my mine) for about 4 weeks. We've added some elements, removed some elements, debating some other elements. In other words it's not necessarily going to be the same in a few weeks. We are using MFW's Kindergarten curriculum, or at least some of it, with some other things added in. I can't say I'm all together happy with the MFW curriculum but more on that later. We have a different time where I do some work with both girls (including Bible)  but this is about Maggie's school time.

For now here is what our homeschooling time looks like on a (mostly) daily basis.

Sing Songs - ABC, 7 Days, and 12 Months

Character Work - using this online resource for now

Calendar - MFW (online here)  reinforce colors, shapes, and patterns

Weather Graph

Math/100 Chart - MFW (can also be found here) *also supplementing with some $1 workbooks from
                Target

Phonic Work - MFW

Handwriting - MFW plus  lined sheets and extra "fun" practice sheets

Science Activity - MFW (we don't do this daily)


There are several other things that I want to implement in the future. Reading aloud is one. I know how important it is. We have started numerous books but have never been consistent in finishing them before they are due back at the library.

Maggie loves to draw, so for her birthday, Lord willing, we plan to buy her an elementary art teaching book. Any recommendations? Veritas Press has several to choose from and I am sure there are dozens more out there.

4 comments:

joyfilled said...

Now you have me super curious about what you dislike about MFW!

Christine said...

I am curious, too, as to what you don't like about MFW. I love Mother Hubbard's Cupboard, too! (and I love that it is free!)Blessings!

Laura said...

We have one of the "Draw Write Now" books, and I love it!! We've got book 1 (farm life). I'm awful at drawing, so I enjoy it just as much as the children do. I'm learning right alongside them. :) I bought "Drawing With Children" from Veritas Press, but I don't recommend it. It's just way too involved...for us and our family goals, etc. You're welcome to borrow it and look through it if you're interested in it though. It's packed up at the moment, but hopefully it will be unpacked by the end of August.

Emily, wife of Jeremy said...

Hi Laura. Thanks for the recommendations. I can hardly draw stick people so I am looking forward to this as well. I will certainly check out your recommendations. THanks for being honest about the Drawing With Children. I was seriously looking at that one. I don't want anything really involved or detailed. Just something fun and helpful. : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails